August 2, 2018
The National Weather Service (NWS) Weather Forecast Office Guam are closely monitoring two circulations located northeast and northwest of the Marianas. The circulations will eventually merge north of the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas and gradually develop while moving away.
Although there is no direct from the circulations at this time, showers have arrived in the Marianas today and will increase further tonight.
Seas and surf are expected to increase Friday and Saturday and surf could become hazardous this weekend for west-facing reefs. The community is advised to monitor the latest forecasts.
Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared to take action should flooding develop. The following are basic flood safety tips to keep in mind:
- Now is a good time to clear drainage areas and un-block clogged storm drains in your area to minimize the chance of flooding.
- Avoid walking or driving through flood waters.
- Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away.
- If there is a chance of flash flooding, move immediately to higher ground.
- If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground. Do not leave the car and enter moving water.
- Avoid camping or parking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
Visit https://www.ready.gov/floods to learn more.
For the latest forecasts and advisories, visit the following links:
- NWS Website: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCDFacebook: https://wwwfacebook.com/GHSOCD
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) remind that all care and caution must be exercised by anyone who will be traveling in the rainy conditions in the coming days.
For more information, contact GHS/OCD Public Information Officer, Jenna G. Blas at (671) 489-2540 or via email at email@example.com.