The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office issued a short-term forecast for Guam from now through 5 p.m..
Thunderstorms with locally heavy showers have produced 1 to 2 inches of rain over portions of northern Guam, especially Tumon. 1 to 3 additional inches of rain along with occasional lightning are expected through this afternoon. Brief local flooding of streams, roads and low-lying areas is likely as the showers pass. Flooding has already been reported in Tumon.
An urban and small stream flood advisory was issued for Guam, in effect until 6:45 p.m. A flood advisory means river or stream flows are elevated or ponding of water in urban or other areas is occurring or is imminent.
Residents and visitors are advised to take precautionary actions:
- Clear drainage areas and un-block clogged storm drains in your area to minimize the chance of flooding.
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown. Avoid walking or driving through flood waters.
- Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away
- If there is a chance of flash flooding, move immediately to higher ground.
- If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground. If the water is moving, do not leave the car.
- Avoid camping, parking, or hiking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
- Visit https://www.ready.gov/floods to learn more.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) remind the community to practice extreme caution while traveling in these rainy conditions, driving below the speed limit and allowing enough braking distance between vehicles.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
For more information, contact GHS/OCD Public Information Officer, Jenna G. Blas at (671) 489-2540 or via email at email@example.com.