The National Weather Service (NWS), Guam Weather Forecast Office issued an urban and small stream flood advisory for Guam until 1:15 p.m. A flood advisory means river or stream flows are elevated or ponding of water in urban or other areas is occurring or is imminent.
Heavy rain due to thunderstorms will cause urban and small stream flooding in the advisory area. Up to one inch of rain has already fallen and an additional rainfall of up to two inches is expected, resulting in flooding in poor drainage areas.
Residents and visitors are advised to take precautionary actions:
- Clear drainage areas and un-block clogged storm drains in your area to minimize the chance of flooding.
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown. Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away
- If there is a chance of flash flooding, move immediately to higher ground.
- If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground. If the water is moving, do not leave the car.
- Avoid camping, parking, or hiking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
- Visit https://www.ready.gov/floods to learn more.
A thunderstorm warning is in effect for the Guam International Airport until 10 a.m. Thunderstorms are occurring within 5 nautical miles of the airport. If lightning is seen or thunder is heard, seek shelter.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) remind the community to practice extreme caution while traveling in the rainy conditions, driving below the speed limit and allowing enough braking distance between vehicles.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
- NWS Facebook: www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
For more information, contact GHS/OCD Public Information Officer, Jenna G. Blas at (671) 489-2540 or via email at email@example.com.