The Guam Waterworks Authority (GWA) has stationed four water tanks in designated areas of the island to support water needs as GWA assesses areas that need full water restoration.
The designated locations for the 4,000-6,000 gallon tankers include:
- Santa Teresita, Mangilao
- Ordot-Chalan Pago Mayor’s Office, Chalan Pago
- St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Inalåhan
- Dededo Mayor’s Office, Dededo
At this time, the water tanks listed above are accessible 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Once the tanks are depleted, they will be refilled and returned to service at locations still without water. Residents island-wide who have water service are advised to conserve and limit use for cleaning, bathing, and cooking in order to conserve water to allow reservoir levels to increase.
As a precaution, water obtained from these designated locations must be boiled for at least three (3) minutes prior to consumption. A precautionary boil water notice remains in place due to possible bacterial contamination in the water that can occur when increased run-off enters a drinking water source following heavy rains.
Boil Water Notice Tips:
- DO NOT DRINK THE WATER WITHOUT BOILING IT FIRST.
- Bring all water to a boil, let it boil for three (3) minutes, and let it cool before using or use bottled water.
- Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes, and food preparation until further notice.
- Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.
GWA continues its restoration and post-typhoon recovery efforts. GWA reports that as of 10:00 a.m.:
- Currently 50% of operable wells are online
- GWA continues to operate all available wells to increase reservoir levels throughout the northern system
- The connection to Navy-supplied sources at Sånta Rita-Sumai and Nimitz Hill has been restored and service is being restored to the area
- The new Winward Hills Reservoir was put online after chlorination reached acceptable levels. providing partial service to the village of Talo’fo’fo
- GWA crews continue work to repair a water main break in Hågat before service can be restored
To report water outages, call GWA at (671) 647-7800.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
- JRM Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jrmguam
For more information, contact the Joint Information Center at (671) 478-0208/09/10.