The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office continues to closely monitor Typhoon Wutip as it moves toward the Marianas.
As of 4 a.m., Typhoon Wutip was located at latitude 7.7 degrees north and longitude 148.1 degrees east latitude, about 460 miles south-southeast of Guam and 535 miles south-southeast of Saipan; moving west-northwest at 8 mph with maximum sustained winds now at 100 mph. Typhoon-force strength winds extend outward from the center up to 35 miles and tropical-storm force winds extend outward from the center up to 150 miles. Wutip is expected to make a slight turn toward the northwest with an increase in forward speed over the next 24 hours.
What to Expect on its Current Track
• Winds and rain will start to pick up as early as Friday evening
• The onset of damaging winds of 35-45 mph with possible gusts up to 60 mph are expected as early as Saturday morning around sunrise and are expected to last all the way through Sunday morning
• The closest point of approach (CPA) is expected around midnight Saturday with the typhoon being 130 miles southwest of Guam at its CPA
• The onset of sustained destructive winds of 58 mph or more are not expected at this time
• The worst conditions will be Saturday night into Sunday morning
• Rainfall of 4-6 inches is expected during Wutip’s passage
Any northward shift of the current storm would bring higher winds and larger rainfall amounts to the island. The community is advised to stay up to date with the latest advisories and watch for any flood advisories.
GDOE Early Release Times:
Southern High School
Tiyan High School
John F. Kennedy High School
J.P. Torres Success Academy
George Washington High School
Okkodo High School
Simon Sanchez High School
All GDOE elementary schools and Head Start
All GDOE middle schools
GDOE ASPIRE and GDOE after school sports programs scheduled for Friday afternoon are canceled. Sports programs scheduled for Saturday are also canceled.
GDOE parents are asked to begin picking up students at the specified release times. Busing services will be provided to transport students home.
DoDEA schools will remain open for normal hours of operation Friday.
Other School Notifications:
iLearn Academy Charter School will release students at 11:30 a.m., Friday, February 22, 2019. Parents are advised to arrange for early pick up.
SIFA Learning Academy will dismiss students at 12:00 p.m., Friday, February 22, 2019.
Saint Paul Christian School will release students at 12:00 p.m., Friday, February 22, 2019.
The Archdiocese of Agaña confirms that Catholic schools will hold classes today, Friday, Feb. 22 while the island remains in Condition of Readiness (COR) 3. In the event of COR 2, students will be sent home. If bus transportation is not available at that time, parents and guardians are advised to please ensure transportation home for their child or children.
Please note the following exception: Mercy Hts. Preschool and Kinder will release students by 12 noon just like public school counterparts. Important: All parents/guardians of Catholic school students have the discretion of having their children attend classes or not attend classes today, especially with the possibility of not having full bus service for the day.
Parents of students from other non-aligned schools are advised to check in with their respective schools for clarification or official notifications regarding release times and transportation. The Joint Information Center will continue to update as soon as verified information is received.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
- Joint Region Marianas Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jrmguam/
For more information, contact the GHS/OCD 24/7 watch desk at (671) 475-9600.