The Guam Waterworks Authority (GWA) is advising customers to conserve water and has issued a boil water notice due to possible bacterial contamination in the water that can occur when increased run-off enters a drinking water source following heavy rains. GWA will perform assessments of its water system to be within acceptable levels as soon as possible.
Boil Water Notice Tips:
- DO NOT DRINK THE WATER WITHOUT BOILING IT FIRST.
- Bring all water to a boil, let it boil for three (3) minutes, and let it cool before using or use bottled water.
- Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes, and food preparation until further notice.
- Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water.
Villages are experiencing water outages and crews are working to restore service at this time. The following areas of the island that are affected include Tamuning, Nimitz Hill, Hågat, Santa Rita, Yona, Talo’fo’fo, Ipan and Malojloj.
Water Conservation Notice:
GWA is asking that customers in the southern region of the island from Ipan to Humåtak conserve water due to high turbidity in the Ugum river. For information, contact GWA’s 24/7 phone line at (671)646-4211 or visit facebook.com/guamwaterworksauthority.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
- JRM Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jrmguam
For more information, contact the Joint Information Center at (671) 478-0208/09/10.