As of 12 a.m., May 25, typhoon force winds from Typhoon Mawar are expected to slowly subside for Guam as the center of the storm slowly pulls away from Guam. However, the island can still expect strong battering tropical storm force winds to continue through this morning. Expect heavy showers and strong gusty winds.
The worst of the conditions will lighten, slowly ending the heavy thrashing of Guam in the next couple of hours.
As of 10 p.m., Mawar was located 13.7 degrees north latitude and 144.6 degrees east longitude, about 20 miles northwest of Guam and 125 miles southwest of Saipan. It is moving northwest at 8 mph with maximum sustained winds of 140 mph.
What to Do:
- Continue to shelter indoors until destructive winds leave our vicinity. Be mindful that tropical storm force winds will continue well into today;
- Turn off your breaker if your home is affected by flooding;
- Call 911 if it is an immediate emergency.
Local Radio Stations Providing Updates:
The Joint Information Center will continue to use all means of communication available throughout the duration of the storm. Tune to the following local radio stations for the latest updates:
- 95.5 FM KStereO
- 93.3 FM The Point
- 93.9 FM The Breeze
- 88.1 FM KHMG
- 97.5 FM Power 98
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
- JRM Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jrmguam
The Guam Behavioral Health and Wellness Center (GBHWC) Suicide & Crisis Lifeline remains operational 24/7. The community may call or text the hotline at 988, or chat online at 988lifeline.org.
For more information, contact the Joint Information Center at (671) 478-0208/09/10.