As of 4 p.m., Mangkhut was located near 15.2 degrees north latitude and 152.8 degrees east longitude, about 470 miles east of Saipan and 550 miles east-northeast of Guam, moving quickly west at 23 mph with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph.
A typhoon warning is in effect for Guam, Rota, Tinian, Saipan, and adjacent coastal waters, meaning typhoon conditions, including destructive winds of 74 mph or more, are expected as early as Monday night.
Current forecast track still shows a slight dip to the West-Southwest on Monday, which could bring Mangkhut closer to Guam. However, if the current northward deviation continues, Mangkhut could pass through the Marianas closer to Tinian and Saipan.
Intensity forecasts have held fairy steadily, possibly becoming a Category 2 to low-end Category 4 typhoon by the time it reaches Guam. The closest point of approach is now late Monday night or early Tuesday morning.
· Category 2 Typhoon is referred to as a “Moderate Typhoon” with maximum sustained winds of 96-110 and peak gusts of 121-139 mph.
· Category 4 Typhoon is referred to as a “Very Strong Typhoon” with maximum sustained winds of 130-156 mph and peak gusts of 165-198 mph.
The community are reminded that this can change and to prepare for the worst case scenario. 100+ mph winds can be life-threatening.
How Can I Stay Up to Date with the Joint Information Center?
The Joint Information Center is the government of Guam, military and federal government’s clearinghouse for accurate information during emergencies. The following is a list of radio partners, where you can get updated information about Typhoon Mangkhut:
o KSTO 95.5 FM
o 102.9 KISH FM
o Isla 630 AM
o K57 AM
o I94 FM
o Power 98 FM
o Hit Radio 100
o Cool FM
o The BOSS 104.3
o Star 101.1
o 101.9 KTKB
o 105.1 KAT FM
o 99.5 The Shark
o KHMG 88.1 FM
TV and Newspaper partners include:
• KUAM: kuam.com
• Pacific News Center: pacificnewscenter.com
• Guam Daily Post: postguam.com
• Pacific Daily News: guampdn.com
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
· NWS Website: http://www.prh.noaa.
· NWS Facebook: https://www.
· GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
· GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.
· Joint Region Marianas Facebook: https://www.
· Governor Calvo Facebook: https://www.
For more information, contact the Joint Information Center at (671) 478-0208/09/10.