As of 3 a.m. Saturday, Typhoon Wutip was located 10.1 degrees north latitude and 144.7 degrees east longitude. The typhoon is currently 230 miles south of Guam moving in a northwest direction at 15 mph. Wutip sustained winds have increased to 120 mph. It is expected to maintain this intensity today, before beginning a slow weakening trend through Sunday.
On its current track, Wutip is forecasted to make its closest point of approach (CPA) to Guam on Saturday evening. The onset of damaging winds; however, may begin as early as 9 a.m. Saturday and continue into Sunday afternoon.
Dangerous surf as high as 25 feet is expected along north and east facing reefs, while seas of 16 to 20 feet are expected today. Coastal inundation of 3 to 4 feet is likely along eastern and southern shores. A flash flood watch is in effect for Guam and Rota.
What to expect with the current track:
- Damaging winds of 35-45 mph with gusts up to 55 mph are expected as early as 9 a.m. Saturday and may last through Sunday afternoon
- The CPA, which is notably longer than previous storms, is expected Saturday evening from approximately 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- 6-8 inches of rainfall are expected during Wutip’s passage
Residents are reminded that any changes in the typhoon’s current trajectory could bring destructive winds to Guam. Hazardous weather will remain even after the storm's closest point of approach.
“Though Wutip has maintained its track away from our island, there is still a degree of uncertainty. It’s the storm’s duration, not its intensity, that is most concerning. We encourage residents to stay indoors, off the roadways, and out of the waters. We’re also asking residents to continue to adhere to all safety measures and advisories,” said Acting Governor Tenorio.
Residents are advised to remain in shelters until COR 4 is announced. The following emergency shelters are open to those whose homes are not made to withstand damaging winds:
- Astumbo Elementary School
- Machananao Elementary School
- George Washington High School
- Harry S. Truman Elementary School
- Inarajan Elementary School
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
- Joint Region Marianas Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jrmguam/
For more information, contact the Joint Information Center at (671) 478-0208/09/10.