Joint Region Marianas, Naval Base Guam, Andersen Air Force Base, and Marine Corps Base Camp Blaz establish COR 3. All Military installations on Guam are currently securing facilities and housing residents are urged to commence heavy weather preparedness efforts in COR 3.
As of 7 a.m., Invest Area 97W was located 5 degrees north latitude and 149 degrees east longitude, about 250 miles west-southwest of Chuuk Lagoon, 200 miles south-southeast of Satawal, near 5 degrees north latitude and 149 degrees east longitude. It is expected to organize over the next 12 to 36 hours, eventually turning north-northwest toward Guam.
At this time, there is high confidence that a significant tropical cyclone will move through the Marianas in the coming week. It is uncertain the exact track it will take and what strength it will be by the time it is in the area. However, the likelihood for heavy rainfall remains regardless of the track.
What to Expect
Current weather forecasts from National Weather Service (NWS) Guam indicate winds increasing overnight Sunday to 35 mph by Monday with gusts possibly up to 55 mph, continuing through Wednesday morning. The possibility for higher winds, even typhoon force winds, remains. Between Monday and Wednesday, 5 to 9 inches of rainfall is possible for the Mariana Islands, with locally higher rainfall amounts. Urban and small stream flooding is possible early next week as the system moves through the region.
The community is advised to take the following preparedness actions this weekend:
- Those living in flood-prone areas should take action; clear drainage areas and unblock storm drains to minimize flooding;
- Clear loose debris around your yard and store any items, such as tents and canopies, that may become airborne with heavy winds, before inclement weather arrives;
- Stay up to date with the latest information. The system track or intensity may change, and advisories may be issued;
- Locate or prepare your emergency preparedness kits for your household;
- Secure important documents such as birth certificates, tax papers, and insurance documents, and keep copies in a water-proof bag;
- Gas your vehicles and get fuel for your generators;
- Be prepared to take action if shutters are warranted;
- In COR 3, residents are asked to secure loose items in their yard including lawn furniture, and barbeque grills and trash cans.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
- JRM Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jrmguam