Flood Advisory in Effect Until 4:00 pm
The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office issued a flood advisory, in effect for southern-central Guam, until 4:00pm this afternoon. Urban and small stream flooding caused by excessive rainfall is expected.
Minor flooding in low-lying and poor drainage areas. Water over roadways. Overflowing poor drainage areas. Ponding of water in urban or other areas is occurring or is imminent. Minor flooding is ongoing or expected to begin shortly in the advisory area. Between 0.2 and 0.6 inches of rain have fallen. Additional rainfall amounts of 0.6 to 1.6 inches are expected over the area. This additional rain will result in minor flooding.
Some locations that will experience flooding include Chalan Pago-Ordot, Yona, Hagatna Heights, Talofofo, Asan, Piti and Santa Rita.
Residents and visitors are advised to take the following pcautionary actions;
- Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood deaths occur in vehicles.
- Be aware of your surroundings and do not drive on flooded roads.
- In hilly terrain there are hundreds of low water crossings which are potentially dangerous in heavy rain. Do not attempt to cross flooded roads. Find an alternate route.
- Flooding is occurring or is imminent. It is important to know where you are relative to streams, rivers, or creeks which can become killers in heavy rains. Hikers especially should avoid streams and creeks.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) advise the community to practice caution while traveling in rainy conditions, driving below the speed limit and allowing enough braking distance between vehicles.
Please report observed flooding to local emergency services or law enforcement and request they pass this information to the National Weather Service when you can do so safely.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
For more information, contact Acting Public Information Officer Stephen Cahill at (671) 489-9517 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.