Flood Advisory in Effect; Practice Caution in Heavy Rain
The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office issued a flood advisory, in effect until 7:30 p.m. this evening. Urban and small stream flooding caused by excessive rainfall is expected. Between 0.5 and 1 inch of rain has fallen. Additional rainfall amounts of 1 to 2 inches are expected, resulting in minor flooding.
Some locations that will experience flooding include Dededo, Tamuning, Yigo, Mangilao, Chalan Pago-Ordot, Barrigada, Yona, Agana Heights, Andersen AFB, Mongmong-Toto-Maite, Sinajana, Asan, and Piti.
Residents and visitors are advised to take the following precautionary actions:
- If driving, be alert for low visibilities and slippery roads in heavy rain;
- Slow down where water is ponding on the road;
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown. Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away;
- Do not camp, park, or hike along streams and rivers. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) remind the community to practice caution while traveling in rainy conditions, driving below the speed limit and allowing enough braking distance between vehicles.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/
For more information, contact GHS/OCD Public Information Officer Jenna G. Blas at (671) 489-2540 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.