Flood Advisory in Effect; Drive with Caution
The National Weather Service (NWS) Guam Weather Forecast Office issued a flood advisory, in effect until 3 p.m. this afternoon for Guam. Heavy rain and thunderstorms will cause urban and small stream flooding. Between 1 and 1.4 inches of rain have already fallen. Additional rainfall amounts of 1 to 2 inches are expected.
Residents and visitors are advised to take the following precautionary actions:
- Be aware of your surroundings and do not drive on flooded roads.
- If driving, be alert for low visibilities in heavy rain;
- Slow down where water is ponding on the road;
- Turn Around, Don’t Drown. Avoid walking or driving through flood waters. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 2 feet of water can sweep your vehicle away;
- Do not camp, park, or hike along streams and rivers. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
The Offices of Guam Homeland Security and Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) remind the community to practice caution while traveling in heavy rain, driving below the speed limit and allowing enough braking distance between vehicles.
Visit the following links for the latest advisory information:
- NWS Website: https://www.weather.gov/gum/
- NWS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWSGuam/
- GHS/OCD Website: https://ghs.guam.gov/
- GHS/OCD Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GHSOCD/